The 2 Different Types Of Personal Injury Compensation

If you were recently hurt in an automobile accident, you may be wondering about the different types of personal injury compensation can be claimed for financial expenses, pain and suffering. What are you entitled to when it comes to regaining your quality of life after you have been injured in an accident?

Special Damages In An Accident

What are Special Damages? This is a very loose term to describe expenses that accumulate due to injuries that you may have experienced as a result of the accident. Special damages include help with the following:

Medical Expenses: This includes initial emergency care, surgery, inpatient care, physical therapy, in home care, medication, etc.

Out Of Pocket Expenses: When you need to travel to and from a doctor or you need extra items or need extra help for previously routine errands and chores, you may end up paying out of pocket for these services.

Lost Income: If your injuries keep you from working either short term or for the rest of your life, lost income compensates for the amount of money you would have earned.

Property Damage: If you need to repair your car or anything else of value was destroyed during the accident, you can receive special damages compensation.

General Damages

Special damages are a little easier to calculate, because they are often calculated based off of bills and receipts for expenses that have occurred as a result of your injuries. General damages are a little more complex, as they relate to damages which cannot be physically calculated in the same way as financial damages.

General Damages Include:

Pain And Suffering: This includes the pain and suffering of the initial accident, as well as any present and future complications which may occur.

Emotional Distress: If you experienced anxiety, PTSD, mental anguish, insomnia or any number of emotional problems, you can also receive personal injury compensation for this.

Loss Of Enjoyment: If you are no longer able to do things due to the accident, either on a temporary or permanent basis, such as hobbies, daily activities, exercise, etc this falls under loss of enjoyment.

Proving General Damages is a more subjective category. Often a judge or jury will have to use a formula called the general Damages multiplier. This is a number between 1.5 and 5 that will be used to multiply the amount of money you should receive for your accident. The formula is as follows:

Special Damages x General Damages Multiplier = Total Compensation

Different factors will be considered when coming to a final decision on compensation. In most cases, the general damages multiplier is 4 or less. For instance, let's say that your special damages are totaled at $12,000 and your general damages multiplier is 2, your compensation would then be $24,000.

Most of the time, the best way to receive the maximum compensation is to make sure you hire an experienced lawyer who specializes in personal injury cases. They, better than anyone, know how to get you the maximum amount of money allowable by law.

For a free consultation or to learn about your legal rights contact Welmaker.