Take Action After a Slip and Fall Accident With a Lawyer

Slip and Fall AccidentEach year, millions of Americans slip and fall. Some are able to pick themselves up and continue on with their lives with no serious injuries. Others, however, are not so lucky. Slip and fall accidents often cause serious injuries, especially to people who are 55 or older. Serious falls can cause you to miss work, accumulate significant medical bills and spend the rest of your life in pain or worse.

The Statistics

The statistics are alarming. Each year, more than 8 million people visit hospital emergency departments after slipping and falling, according to the National Floor Safety Institute. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that 15 percent of all accidental deaths are caused by slips and falls. The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that unsafe floors and flooring equipment contribute to more than 2 million falls every year. While the majority of slip and fall accidents occur in private homes, many people fall while at work, out in their communities or while participating in recreational activities on private and public land. People fall often because the owners' of the land fail to maintain it and keep it safe. If you have been involved in a slip and fall accident and have experienced injury, lost wages or medical bills, you may be entitled to compensation and should consider contacting a lawyer who has slip and fall accident experience.

When to Contact a Lawyer

In legal circles, slip and fall accident cases are known as "premises liability." They involve seeking compensation from the owner of the property on which you fell. The owner could be an individual, government entity or business. In many cases, the slip and fall is caused by dangerous conditions that include:
  • uneven surfaces
  • sidewalks, driveways or steps that are not properly maintained
  • unsafe handrails
  • poor lighting
If you have been injured or missed work due to a slip and fall accident that you believe was caused by the negligence of an individual, government agency or business, contact an experienced law firm today. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and long-term medical needs.