SAN ANTONIO'S PERSONAL
INJURY LAW FIRM

Texas Auto Accident Law 101: What Every Driver Should Know

It would be best if you familiarized yourself with the basics of Texas auto accident law before you get behind the wheel. The following are some things every driver should know.

Make Sure You're Insured

Texas is a "fault state," and our statutes require every driver to carry at least $30,000 per person to cover bodily injuries, $60,000 per accident for bodily injuries, and $25,000 for property damage. If an accident occurs, the insurance company of the "at fault" party is liable for paying for the other party's medical bills, property damage, etc. Because additional coverage typically costs only a few dollars more per month, we strongly recommend drivers carry as much insurance coverage as they can afford. This will provide greater protection if a serious accident occurs and you're "at fault."

Watch the Calendar Closely

If you have an accident in Texas, you must file a claim before the statute of limitations passes. You have two years from the accident date to file a claim against the other party in Texas. However, if the claim is against a government entity, you typically only have 60 to 90 days to file.

Watch Out for Comparative Fault

In addition to being an "at fault" state, Texas is also a "comparative fault" state. This means that both drivers can be found liable for causing the accident. For example, one driver may be 30% at fault, while the other is 70%. If you are less than 50% at fault, you can recover compensation minus the court's percentage of fault assigned to you.

The Rules of the Road Are Your Responsibility

If you are new to the state, a new driver, or the parent of a teenage driver, we highly recommend taking the time every year to brush up on your knowledge. Remember, ignorance of the law is not an effective defense. As a driver in Texas, it is your responsibility to stay up to date with all current laws and regulations. Moreover, brushing up on driving laws and best practices will help you become a better driver and can help protect you from involvement in a motor vehicle accident.

Do you have more questions about basic auto accident law in Texas? Contact the team at Welmaker Injury Law at (210) 828-6033, and we will be happy to give you the answers you need.