Texting While Driving Can Be Life Threatening
Every day social media, television and radio outlets discuss the horrifying consequences of driving while texting. Despite all the aggressive ad campaigns however, people in the San Antonio area and around the country are still texting while operating a motor vehicle. The consequences for glancing at a text message can be life altering.
San Antonio Ordinances
Since 2000, the number of auto accidents involving mobile devices has increased dramatically. Both federal and state programs have been implemented to increase public awareness of the dangers of texting while driving. Despite these ongoing efforts though, the problem still exists. In Texas, certain anti-texting laws are in place as well as numerous local ordinances. The fine for breaking these local cell phone ordinances can cost up to $500.00.
Car Accident Attorney in San Antonio
- Drivers with learning permits are prohibited from using any type of hand held cellular device while driving.
- Minors are not allowed to use any type of wireless communication device while driving a motor vehicle.
- School bus drivers are prohibited from using cell phones during vehicle operation while children are present.
- If you are in any type of school zone, you are not allowed to use a hand held wireless device. You are also strictly prohibited from texting in school zones.
- San Antonio also has local laws in place which prohibit texting while driving any type of motor vehicle.
Even with the threat of fines, people still text and drive. If a driver causes an accident while texting, the consequences may be more than fines. The driver may face liability in both civil and criminal court. The injured party could receive compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering. If the accident results in a death, criminal penalties and a wrongful death lawsuit could follow.
While operating a motor vehicle, stay alert at all times. The smallest distraction can lead to deadly consequences. Car accidents involving texting can cause physical, financial and emotional damage. So, pull over to answer a text. You could be saving your life and the lives of others.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, be sure to contact an experienced car accident attorney in San Antonio
to discuss your case.