What To Do When a Car Strikes Your House

When people think of car accidents, few envision the sight of a car in a living room, bedroom, kitchen, or backyard pool. But, it can and does, happen. So, when a car crashes into your castle, it is a critical issue that requires prompt attention. To that end, the following are the steps we recommend taking in the moments, hours, and days following any unwanted remodeling of your property.

Start by assessing the driver and anyone in the car or home for injuries. If anyone is injured, call for an ambulance. Likewise, confirm that no gas lines were ruptured, plumbing systems pierced, or electrical systems damaged. If you are unsure, shut the gas, electricity, and water off right away and call your utility provider as well as a certified electrician, plumber, etc., to inspect the home.

Then, take lots of photos and videos to document the scene and the damage thoroughly. You should also contact your homeowners insurance provider and auto insurance provider to inform them of the damage. While the driver's auto insurance provider is liable for property damage and injuries, the amount of damage to your home can easily exceed their policy limits. Thus, you may need to file a claim on your homeowners policy, or possibly an uninsured/underinsured claim with your automobile insurance provider.

Make sure to involve law enforcement even if there are no personal injuries suffered in the accident. As you move forward, having a police report that confirms critical details of the incident is an invaluable asset that can help with the pursuit of an insurance claim or lawsuit.

Finally, secure your home and keep your receipts. If your home is breached, you will need to secure it against the elements and potential intruders. Hire a licensed contractor who can do more than put a tarp over the hole. Securing the home with plywood and other materials will provide more robust temporary protection. This will buy you a little more time to settle on a contractor to permanently repair the home and restore it to its pre-crash condition.

The team at Welmaker Injury Law can help when you suffer property damage from a vehicular accident. We invite you to contact our office in San Antonio by calling (210) 828-6033 to learn more about our services and your legal options for recovering compensation for vehicle property damage and other claims in Texas.