What Questions Should You Ask Prospective Legal Counsel?
What questions should you ask an attorney before retaining their services? How important is it to match their legal experience to the type of claim you are pursuing? When you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, it is important to ask as many questions as you need before making a decision. The more questions that you ask during a legal consultation, the better fit you will find for your needs.
Questions Every Accident Victim Should Ask
Experience counts and the following are questions that highlight an attorney's experience litigating cases in Texas:
- How many years have you practiced law?
- What types of claims do you pursue?
- Have you represented clients pursuing similar claims?
- What experience do your support staff, paralegals, accident reconstruction experts, etc., bring to the table?
- Have you completed specialized training or otherwise maintained current knowledge of legal developments that relate to my type of claim?
And, go ahead and ask sensitive questions. In particular, it's alright to ask about an attorney's win/loss record. A good attorney will be happy to tell you their success rate in similar cases, and they will tell you what can happen in cases where the verdict goes the other way.
In addition to experience, it is crucial to determine how an attorney will approach your claim. The following questions about legal strategy and support are crucial to finding the best fit.
- What is your legal strategy in these types of cases?
- Do you prefer to negotiate settlements or litigate the claim in court?
- What support do you have? i.e., assistants, paralegals, co-counsel, accident experts, medical experts, etc.
- What is your communication style? How will you notify me of developments in the case?
Finally, make sure to ask about the costs associated with pursuing your claim, including:
- How much do you think I can recover?
- How much do you charge for pursuing accident claims?
- How much do you estimate it will cost to pursue the claim?
- How long do you expect this case to take?
- How do you receive payment following a settlement or judgment?
At Welmaker Injury Law, we take great pride in the legal representation we offer clients in San Antonio and surrounding communities. We are always happy to answer your questions about our legal experience. We invite you to contact us at (210) 828-6033 to schedule a consultation to learn more about our attorneys and to discuss your claim.