When to Hire a Car Wreck Attorney
A lot of people choose to hire a car wreck attorney when they have been involved in a crash that results in an injury or monetary losses. Here's a closer look at how an attorney can help you if you've been hurt in a car accident.
Hiring a Lawyer vs Doing It Yourself
Some people decide to not hire a car wreck attorney, and instead choose to file a claim with an insurance company on their own. If you take this route, it's probably because you have minimal injuries and have the time to properly introduce yourself to the legal claims process.
On the other hand, if you specifically hire a personal injury attorney it's probably because:
- The injuries or monetary loss was severe and the case or claim is a little more complex.
- The case is much more complex and requires more attention to different parts of the case. This may include investigation of the accident site, collecting the witness statements and police reports, or extensive medical documents.
- You simply cannot do it on your own because you are hurt. If you're hurt, the very last thing you'll want to do is deal with the claim. Moreover, such serious injury will immediately warrant a closer look at the circumstances surrounding the accident.
- You want to make sure you get the maximum amount of compensation possible.
A car wreck attorney will not only make sure you get the maximum amount of compensation but they will do all the legwork for you, including going to court.
When to Hire an Attorney
Here are 4 crucial situations in which you should consider hiring an attorney to represent you.
- Severe Injuries: If you've experienced severe injuries, you'll want to hire an attorney. This includes long-term injuries, permanent injuries and debilitating injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, burns, amputations, etc.
- Long-Term Injuries: If you've experienced long-term injuries or permanent disabling injuries that require life-long care, you will want to hire an attorney. This includes things like rehab or having to hire a caregiver to come in and help you during the day. These costs can quickly become unsustainable. Hiring an attorney is an essential step to determining what the costs will be, and therefore what the compensation should be.
- Disputed Liability: If the insurance company disputes the policyholder's liability for the crash or the injuries, it's time to go to the mat and defend your corner. When this happens, the insurance company will not pay you. A lawyer can make your side clearer and get the compensation you deserve.
- Refusal to Pay Compensation: Technically this could be considered a disputed liability, but it has its own set of rules. When an insurance company won't make a payment or refuses to make a fair payment, this is also a reason to hire a car wreck attorney.
Here at Welmaker, we help people just like you learn more about their rights and get the compensation they need to get back on their feet after a car wreck. Call us today to learn what we can do to help you.