Why Would I Need a Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
Bicycling isn't just for fun anymore. Many people ride their bikes to work and use them for exercise programs. Because of this, more and more cyclers are out on the road, which leads to more and more bicycle accidents happening.
Stats on Bicycle Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than 600 people die in bicycle accidents every single year and more than 53,000 are injured in bicycle-motor accidents.
Even though most cities specifically have laws for cyclers and have marked lanes for these people, they still get into accidents with cars - mostly because cars aren't paying enough attention to the bicyclers.
Reasons to Hire a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
While each accident is going to be different, they tend to fall under the same causes:
- Speeding by drivers
- Failure to yield
- Alcohol or drug intoxication
- Aggressive driving by another motor vehicle
- Not obeying traffic signs and signals
- Failure to pay attention to what is going around you
- Improper turns
These causes create accidents for cyclers including rear-end accidents, car door swipes, sideswipes, head-on crashes and more.
2 Dos and 1 Don't When In a Bike Accident
Most accidents happen under the 3 mile marker for cyclists. Knowing what you need to do and not do immediately after an accident can make a huge difference in your case and your recovery time.
- DO Seek Medical Help: If you are involved in a bike accident the very first thing you should do, even before calling a bicycle accident lawyer, is to seek medical help. Even if you don't think you're hurt, going to a hospital or a doctor will allow for documentation of your situation.
- DO Call An Accident Lawyer: The next thing you should do after seeking medical help is to call a bicycle accident lawyer. A lawyer will be able to gather all of the evidence that was collected at the scene such as witness reports.
- Do NOT Accept Offers from Insurance Companies: One of the main tasks of an insurance company is to offer you as little as they can as quick as they can. They, unlike your bicycle accident lawyer, do not have your best interest at heart.
Not only will they know all the tricks that these insurance companies try to pull, but they will be able to get you more compensation.
What Can a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Help You With?
When talking about compensation, many people wonder what types of compensation a bicycle accident lawyer can help you get. While it depends on your specific case, here are a few examples:
- Permanent or Temporary Disabilities
- Emotional Distress
- Rehab Bills
- Loss of Income
- Medical Expenses
- Property Damage
A bike accident can happen any time of day at any location. No matter where you are or where the accident happened, hiring a bicycle accident lawyer is going to be in your best interest when dealing with the accident. For a free consultation or to learn about your legal rights contact Welmaker.